Diabetes is termed as a global epidemic by the world health organization. It is reported that about 1/3rd of the world population is going to be under the influence of this disease by 2030. Earlier this disease was common among people above 40 years old or 50 years old but now it is increasingly found in young men and women below the age of 35 years.
Diabetes is a condition when the blood sugar level is always kept above the normal level. This leads to a condition called hyperglycemia. Prolonged hyperglycemia over a period of time leads to several systemic complications among which sexual dysfunctions specially erectile dysfunction, impotence, infertility, premature ejaculation, low libido and sexual weakness are the most common in men. Most of the men suffering from diabetes for long time also find that their penis size gets shrunken, there is little or no erection, desire to have sex also reduces and the patient fails to perform in bed. Therefore diabetes patients should seek professional advice as soon as they come to know about their problem else they could find themselves in a sea of sexual dysfunctions. Here I am discussing a few points which should be followed by men who have diabetes.
- Don’t overlook: Most men overlook the initial symptoms of diabetes. An increased thirst, frequent urination, weakness, lethargy, sudden weight loss etc are some of the most common symptoms which should never be overlooked. If you have any of these symptoms it is also good to get your fasting and PP blood sugar level checked by a pathologist.
- Keep track of your blood sugar levels: If you have been diagnosed with diabetes then always keep a track record of your blood sugar levels. This will help your doctor to assess your case and if you get any serious illness your past reports and tests will always be very helpful for treating you effectively.
- Eat healthy: Healthy food habits are a must for every diabetic patient. Follow your doctor’s recommendations religiously.
- Exercise regularly: Adopt a healthy lifestyle and consult your doctor about a suitable workout schedule. Exercise is a good way to control sugar level but you should first consult your doctor. He will advise you the nature and extent of exercises depending on your blood sugar parameters and other complications if any.
- Always be regular with your medicines: Last but no the least. Always take your medicines on time. Accurate dosing and timing of taking medicines is very important. Inappropriate intake or irregular schedule of taking the medicines may have some serious impact on your health specially sexual health.
In our practice over 20% of the patients suffering from sex problems are having an increased blood sugar level. We always encourage our patients to follow the above mentioned guidelines for maintaining their blood sugar levels which in turn helps them regain their sexual strength and sexual power more quickly. So if you are diabetic patient having any type of sex problem then you must first control your sugar. Else you may not find the desired results. No matter how good or effective medicine or treatment you take for your sex problems.